Dr. Matthew Stein
Course Web Pages - Fall 2017 (These have laregly been replaced by Bridges sites, but the links below still contain some course information)
Course Web Pages - Fall 2014
We are currently developing a mobile robot
to act as an avatar for a prospective distance education student to
take the Mechanics of Materials lab remotely. When online, the robot can be reached at http://labatar.rwu.edu
Summer 2012: Advance Modeling of a Skid-Steering Mobile
Robot for Remote Telepresence by Stefano Mafrica. Stefano is a student at the University of Genoa who came to RWU to work as part of a student exchange agreement. Mariella Buttaci also participated in this program but her thesis is as of yet unpublished.
Roger Williams University Publications
Other Roger Williams University Courses (I have taught):
- Combatting Ad Hoc Fabrication in a Senior Level Mechatronics Course. Matthew Stein. American Society of Engineering
Education New England Section Annual Meeting, April 29th, 2016. University of Rhode Island.
- Numerical Simulation as in Integral Component of Dynamics Problem Solving. Matthew Stein. Transactions on Techniques in STEM Education. Vol 1, No 2. Pg 92. January 2016.
- Numerical Simulation as in Integral Component of Dynamics Problem Solving by Matthew Stein. Proceedings of the ASME 2014 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition.
November 8-13, 2014, Montreal, Quebec, Canada IMECE2014-37472
Project: Site Experiences and the Move to Three Dimensions and Matthew R. Stein. The 2005
International Conference on Robotics and Automation Barcelona, Spain 2005.
ROBOTIC DEVICE FOR THREE-DIMENSIONAL MANIPULATION OVER THE INTERNET by
Christopher Madden and Matthew Stein. Proceedings of DETC04: 28th
Biennial Mechanisms and Robotics Conference September 28 - October 2 Salt Lake
- Design Of A New PumaPaint
Interface And Its Use in One Year of Operation by Michael Coristine
and Matthew R. Stein. The 2004
International Conference on Robotics and Automation New Orleans, LA May
2004. View the PDF
file. PowerPoint Slides.
- RWRCCL: A New RCCL
Implementation Using Real-Time Linux And A Single CPU by Matthew R.
Stein. This paper describes a robot control system for PUMA robots that
I am offering free. Although
it was rejected from the 2004 International
Conference on Robotics and Automation, it may be interesting to anyone
trying to operate an old PUMA using a newer computer.
the PDF file.
PumaPaint Project (PDF). Journal of Autonomous Robots 15,255-265,
2003. Most comprehensive paper on the PumaPaint project.
- Chapter 16: One Year of
Puma Painting in Beyond
Webcams: An Introduction to Online Robots edited by Ken Goldberg
and Roland Siegwart. MIT Press. 2001
- Our Attempt at a Freshman
Engineering Course. Matthew Stein. American Society of Engineering
Education New England Section Annual Meeting, April 29th, 2000. UMass
- Our Second Attempt at a
Freshman Engineering Course. Matthew Stein. American Society of
Engineering Education New England Section Annual Meeting, April 20th,
2001. Roger Williams University.
- Hybrid Systems for Telepresence:
Experimental Platform Design. Matthew Stein and Miloš Žefran.
Telemanipulation and Telepresence Technologies VIII. SPIE Conference,
Newton, MA October, 2001.
- Sharing Resources Over The Internet For Robotics Education. Interesting project with Karen Sutherland from UW - La Crosse (at the time). 1999
Random Personal Fluff
Click here to send me e-mail
Return to Engineering Home