Life is full of difficult questions. Questions such as "What song have The Church played live the most often?" This site can help answer some of these burning questions. The information below was derived from The Church Setlist Database, and is based on all known setlists that appear on that site. As such, it is obviously not an exact count, and it certainly underestimates some of their earliest songs, but it does give a bit of an indication of how often each of these songs have been called into active duty. I suppose I could have assumed that the setlists for each tour don't change that much, and then extrapolate in the numbers for known gigs whose setlists remain a mystery, and so on, but, hey, this was easier.
The table below lists each song they have played live, the number of times it appears in the setlist database, when it was first performed live, and when it was last performed live. You can click on the column headers to sort the table by number of performances, by song title, by date, or by venue.
You can also view a list of songs The Church have recorded but have never played live.
Site created and maintained by Paul Webb
A few tidbits of note:
- The Church have played 186 different songs in their live shows
- Most played song: Under the Milky Way
- Longest consecutive run: Under the Milky Way was played in 172 consecutive shows (May 2006 - December 2011) before being left off of the November 28, 2012 show
Longest gap between performances
- 29 years between appearances: Life Speeds Up (1986-2015), Field of Mars (1983-2012)
- 25 years between appearances: Tear it All Away (1985-2010)
- 23 years between appearances: Secret Corners (1986-2009), Antenna, Blood Money (1988-2011)
- 21 years between appearances: Just for You (1984-2005)
Most delayed debuts
- A Fire Burns, To Be in Your Eyes, released in 1982 and not played live until 2015 (33 years)
- Violet Town, released in 1984 and not played live until 2005 (21 years)
- Feel, Film, Lustre, Witch Hunt, Paradox, released in 1992 and not played until 2011 (19 years)
Most recent debuts
- A Fire Burns, To Be in Your Eyes, Waiting for the Sun (July 3, 2015)
- Pride Before a Fall, Love Philtre, Globe Spinning, Old Coast Road, Lightning White, Let Us Go, Volkano (October 24, 2014)
- Toy Head, Vanishing Man, Laurel Canyon (September 11, 2014)
- Delirious, Miami (August 31, 2014)
Longest time since last performance
- She Never Said (last played July 23, 1981)
- A Different Man (last played on December 18, 1982)
- Dropping Names (last played March 19, 1983)
- I Am a Rock (last played April 23, 1983)
Most represented albums
- The Blurred Crusade, Starfish, Priest=Aura, Untitled #23, El Momento Descuidado, El Momento Siguiente, Further Deeper (all songs on these albums have been played live - 100%)
- After Everything Now This (9 of 10 - 90%);
- Seance, Remote Luxury/Persia (all with 8 of 10 played - 80%)
Least represented albums
- Magician Among the Spirits (3 of 14 album songs have been played live - 21%)
- Sometime Anywhere (3 of 13 - 23%)
- Back With Two Beasts (3 of 10 - 30%)
You can also see a visual representation of the setlists as a single-page PDF file that you will need to zoom in on to read, color coded by album. Click on the sample grids below, (complete image on the right, zoomed image showing detail on the left) or on this link to see the entire image. For best results, download the PDF file and view it using a PDF viewer such as Adobe Acrobat, rather than viewing it online.
Click on the column headers or the arrows below to sort the columns. Multiple clicks toggle between ascending and descending sorting.